Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Week 10: Rejuvenation

This week I had the wonderful opportunity to teach a one-on-one workshop on the figure to a very talented fellow artist. Taking a break from my grueling building schedule to commune with another artist as we built in clay together filled my studio with a renewed energy and enthusiasm for the work I need to do.  Thank you, thank you, thank you Deborah!

Deborah Grayson with her beautiful new figure!  

I'm used to spending my days alone in the studio and recently the days seem to have become longer and longer.  But as my show at the Marietta Cobb Museum of Art gets closer I can feel the self-doubt about the new direction of my work rearing its ugly head.  On the one hand, rationally I know that this is completely normal and these feelings can help me push my work creatively and conceptually.  On the other hand, the insecure artist side of me feels paralyzed and dreams of hiding under the covers for a while. What a breath of fresh air it was to get out of my own head this week and laugh.

One of the last porcelain pieces I am building for the show.  Now I am elbow deep in black stoneware!

Well, the kiln is running and the clay is calling--time to get back to work! Next week... my show at Copper Fox in Leiper's Fork, TN on August 3rd. I will be there showing a sneak peak of my new collection, Shadow Circus, and sharing a little about my process.  I hope to see you all there!